My longtime coworker and good friend Russell along with several other buddies threw a barbecue for me at lunch featuring short ribs and tandoori chicken. Pretty much the entire company and many from a company that split off from us a few years ago come out.
Following the barbecue, Anne, Tom, and Timothy played a Bach minuet in honour of me! I was really touched at how these three laid it all out. It's a big deal to put yourself out like that in front of your coworkers and I really appreciated it. I kind of messed up their plan of presenting me with a Weber barbecue by buying it myself a few weeks ago. Instead they presented me with $320 in cash. What an amazing gift!
I mumbled something barely comprehensible about what a great place it was to work, which probably sounded entirely cliche. The sad thing is that there is little about that place that is cliche. It really is an amazing place to work with smart, caring, and fun people who have the utmost in integrity. The management team reflects those values and is second to none in caring about everyone that works there.
I stayed late into the evening drafting up my farewell email and ended up too emotionally drained to ride home. Rachelle came and got me and my personal effects, I said my last goodbye to my workplace and left for home.
Good luck everyone at Zadall... I'll miss you.
6 comments:
You've taken such an amazing step.
I have a lot of respect for your ability to "play your own tune" in life.
I know how you felt. I felt similarly when I left New Brunswick and all my friends and neighbours behind. It's very enotional. Good luck. This is the first day of the rest of your life. You'll do an amazing job of building your life on Hornby Island. I am so proud of you. Good luck to both of you. Wish I could be there on Monday night for Rachelle's award ceremony. Go get em, girl.
Lots of love to both of you. Mom
Just got in touch with Ken Hargreaves today, he said it was your last day of work at Zadall (or rather the latest name of what was once Zadall) - by the other comments here sounds like you are doing something exciting - best of luck to you, sounds like fun (anything on an island HAS to be fun!). Cheers from Melanie Arabsky Ledger, hubby Patrick and new baby Mila.
You are an individual who has the utmost integrity I have ever met and I thank you for that. It is my honour to be mentioned and pictured in your blog.
I know you and Rachelle will do amazing things on Hornby Island with yet the best time of your lives together in front of you. Wishing both of you the VERY best!
Congrats, Doug. It's got to be scary and emotional, but that's the whole point, right?
Wow, you got balz! Congrats, I'm sure you have had an amazing effect on your co-workers and that you will be missed by them all.
The future's so bright...you'll need shades:)
Bren
Post a Comment