Jun 10, 2007

Day off... Gotta work

We worked all day Saturday. It rained lightly for a bit in the morning but wasn't that unpleasant. In the afternoon the wind came up off of the water and just howled. The ocean was all frothed up and every so often a plume of spray would appear over the top of the cliff.

There was a pair of eagles in the tree just above me, calling all afternoon. Since I'm the new guy on the crew, I got the outside jobs but got the last laugh. It was magical in that spot, and I was absolutely thrilled with being able to work outside, despite having to hammer noodley 3 1/2" finishing nails into rock hard fir.

Wayne decided that even though we're a little behind,we'd take the day off on Sunday. I slept in until 9AM, then went to the coffee shop to talk bullshit and make fun of tourists with my fellow islanders. I realized that today may be my last day off for a week or two and that I need to put some effort into the house so I headed home and went to work.

I laid out and dug 6 of the 9 holes for the footings for the house extension. Then I installed a sliding glass door into the hole that was traditionally covered with OSB. Huge improvement! While all that was going on Mark Was and his partner Jennifer dropped by to see if I was available to work on a project he was doing. Wow! Having to turn down work is a pretty nice position to be in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey... at this rate, you are going to have a castle!

Looks good guys!

Super busy back here, but am getting by.

House looks great!

Dan

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!! How many additions are you going to add. We won't all come to visit at the some time you know. Your place is really looking great and who knows, if we go west again soon we will drop by to visit you on the island.
Aunt Anne