Nov 19, 2006

First Ski of the Season

All this rain here in the city has been falling as snow above 1000 meters or so. There's been over a meter of new snow in the alpine in the last few days. It's been a series of wet snowfalls that has covered everything up high. While the damp snow makes for exhausting skiing, it provides a great base for future snowfalls.

This is Jeffo, Chris, and Ian climbing up through the trees to get to the ridge top. We got a short run down on each side of the ridge before it was time to head back down.

Initially, I was ambivalent about going. The weather wasn't looking that great and I was thinking of riding. As it turned out it was a really fun day. Sure, we only got about 30 turns in all, but it was great to get out in the snow. There was lots of laughs and some great wipeouts in the soft snow.



On the way out the clouds parted over Vancouver, and gave me this great shot. The water on the horizon is the Georgia Straight. Vancouver is behind the hill on the left of the photo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a wonderful view and the snow looks sooo beautiful. I'm glad it's on the mountain and not on the low land. We had a chinook here today with temp at 12 degrees. Talk soon. Sarge

Siobhan Chinnery said...

Man, that looks awesome! I was hoping to beat you to the ski hill but sunday was hectic.
On another note, I take great offence in your inference about my hockey stats and their similarities to Jarrko Ruutu.
I have spent most of my life honing my hockey skills and would appreciate, in the future, colour me with the same brush as greats Wade Belak and Darren McArty.

Scott