Jan 1, 2011

Polar Bear Swim 2011

Here are some numbers to ponder:

2008:  3 swimmers - 10 spectators (windy and cold)
2009:  4 swimmers - 6 spectators (warm and cloudy)
2010:  5 swimmers - 10 spectators  (sideways rain and hail)
2011:  7 swimmers - dozens of spectators (cold and clear)

This year I did the most intensive organizing I could muster by sending out an email 24 hours before the event. It's a testament to the subscribership of Bill Smith's cultural email list that we had dozens of people show up to watch 7 of us brave the chilly waters at Grassy Pt.

Paul demonstrates appropriate water
entry technique while Pat looks on in
bewilderment.

The hardest of the hardcores

...and they're off.
It's worth noting that almost 20% of the fire department went for a swim today. Hearty individuals, we are. I love this tradition. Emerging from the freezing water I feel as invigorated and alive as any time during the year.

:
Hornby Island Polar Bear Swim 2011 from Julian Laffin on Vimeo.

Next year I'm shooting for a dozen swimmers, hundreds of spectators, a huge fire and hot chocolate. It's going to be an event, folks.

7 comments:

PeJu said...

Go Doug Go!

Pat said...

Already a great Hornby tradition. Sign me up now for next year because this is a great way to get the blood flowing again on New Years Day. Doug, without you we are nothing!

Darren said...

Okay, I think I'm game for next year...

Michael said...

I promise to go in the water next year. So that is one more already.

Rachelle Chinnery said...

Guess I'd better get a women's team going....

Julian said...

Check out the video here

http://vimeo.com/18359205

Logical Philosopher said...

Last year I said i'd come, but only if there was a bonfire. I do see a fire, but in my defense it is more of a small marshmallow roasting fire....

I'm game for next year, you'll just have to remind me (and promise a huge fire!)