Jan 12, 2011

Ski Day 2011

As I was sorting out all of my ski gear last night to get ready for today's adventure, I came across a ski pass from the last time I was out on a ski hill. It read Jan 11, 2008!  It has been 3 full years since I've been skiing and here's the 'blog entry of that day so long ago. If you were to read that entry, you would be as shocked as I was that people actually bailled on that planned event because they were concerned about too much snow!

Looking out onto the Georgia Straight with
Hornby Island in the center back.
Today had some similarities to that day three years ago:

1) It was 3 years to the day... Actually 3 years plus 1 day... that it occurred.

2) It was a perfect day preceded by some really nasty weather.

3) People jammed out and will forever hold themselves in contempt.

I was actually pretty surprised at Julian's call at 6:30AM. Instead of saying that he was ready to go and wanted to pick me up early, he said that he was concerned about the power outage and the wind and wanted to cancel. I did my best to convince him that the wind would die off soon, but he wasn't having any of it. "Fine!", says I (I learned that from Rachelle).

I politely packed my shit into our car and took off. Getting off the island was a bit touch and go. There was some doubt that the ferry would even sail with the heavy seas. Then on the Denman side there was some problem getting the ramp to work with the power outage. It all got sorted out and I as began the drive up Mt Washington, the clouds disappeared and the sun came out.

The hill had 40cm of new, dry snow and no lineups at the lifts. The snow was a little wind-affected in spots, but generally conditions were excellent.

I need to get out skiing more.

4 comments:

Darren Bond said...

Looks fantastic! Would you believe that I grew up in Nelson but never learned to ski?

Anonymous said...

Nice Hat dude

Pat said...

Good on you for sticking to your plan Doug. It looks like you enjoyed a breathtaking day.

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a gorgeous image and very cool to see Hornby from that vantage point.

Here's to snow days or "no power" days. :-)