Jan 13, 2011

Ban on Dire Straits

It's true. "Money For Nothing" has been banned. Now if we could only get the CRTC to ban the rest of that record, the entire Billy Joel catalogue, and everything Stevie Wonder has done since 1979 we could REALLY celebrate!

ADDENDUM: It's ironic and infuriating that once a song is banned, one will hear it relentlessly for weeks.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Thanks for filling me in on the cultural twilight zone of popular music. This post is really funny.

Anonymous said...

Funny, but I have more serious concerns about a song being banned in the first place. What's next? Any art that people disagree with becomes fair game.

Though I laughed at your take on the ban (and my cousin would be highly offended about Billy Joel) ha ha, it's actually an interesting topic.

Personally, I am not offended by a character in a song making a slur like he does in this song (and I'm gay) but that's beside the point. It's all art. Generally, we don't like murder so should there never be books written that depict a murder? Or how about anything else?

(my questions are rhetorical)

One final note despite a lot of things, Mark Knopfler does have a unique guitar sound albeit of its time. :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks, John, for the thoughts on the ban. I was hoping that you would come through with something thought-provoking and I'm not disappointed.

I fully agree with your take on the ban, especially considering the context in which offending lyric is placed.

Not that it pertains to this issue, but how do we deal with the case of hate being portrayed as art in order to be more widely distributed. I'm not well versed enough in the art scene to come up with any examples, but there must be many.