Jun 24, 2009

Ocean's Bounty

Since we started kayaking the West Coast about 13 years ago, I have wanted to learn more about the seaweed that flanks this and other coasts. I remember one time when we were kayaking on the west coast of Vancouver Island with Brent and Evelyn, we found a field of seaweed strewn across the beach that was so beautiful it looked like mounds of designer cloth (remember that Ev?). There were translucent chartreuse green lacy leaves, mottled ochres, scarlet and puckered gossamer pink fronds all intertwined. It was one of those sights that I have banked as a bonafide magic moment.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to catch one of Vera Ronningen's workshops. Vera is a marine biologist living on Hornby who specializes in seaweed - a phycologist. We were a small group of people all interested in the medicinal and edible species found in the waters around Hornby Island, and Vera was able to show us myriad species yesterday at the lowest tide of the year.

Available on our fine beaches is a seaweed that acts as sunscreen (Fucus spiralis), another that is an anti-viral and anti-bacterial skin wash (Chondracanthus exasperatus), others that are one of nature's perfect foods (Alaria), and yet another that is a perfect sauce thickening substitute for cornstarch (Constantinea subulifera).

Doug and I have gathered mounds of seaweed to use as compost on our garden and have marveled at the virtual salad bar that collects on the beaches after the winter storms. Now I know a little more about which ones to harvest. Vera is one of Hornby's treasures and if you ever have a chance to take a workshop with her, she's guaranteed to entertain as well as inform. She also sells a line of artisanal seaweed products that she sells at the Hornby Island Farmer's Market, including a condiment common in Japan - gomaizo - a roasted sesame and nori combination that is great on rice.

1 comment:

eve said...

Yes, I do remember. I just went through my pictures of that trip, but doesn't look like that was captured. I remember the lace and the colors.