We laughed, we cried, we kicked ass.Rachelle was out on the deck sipping her coffee when I got up out of bed and noticed the absence of our car in our driveway. "Ummmm... Honey... Have you seen our car?". What followed was a call to the police, the ferry, and a grand tour of the roads of Hornby Island. Usually when a car goes missing it's found near a beach access or a block or two away from the previous night's party, having been borrowed by someone who didn't feel like walking.
We had several parties out looking and in fairly short order I got a page that it had turned up partway up Slade Road. "Thank God", I thought, until we got there to find our beautiful little car had been rolled in the ditch and totaled. All the windows were broken, the roof was caved in, and the body was all mashed up. Rachelle and I both cried a bit, thinking of how well that car has served us... Then we got mad.
Its a pretty small island so someone is going to know something about what happened. As we were standing on the road commiserating our loss, a young woman drove by. She stopped to tell us that there had been a party just down the road from us the previous night. That was all I needed to go to the party house to see what I could find out. Sure enough, there were 2 kids that were pretty banged up who admitted to being in our car last night although they swore that they had no idea it was stolen. Their story was as thin as my patience at that point so I went back to the car to meet the police and send them down to the party house.
This is a house owned by a lovely elderly couple who just happened to arrive at their summer home for their vacation when Rachelle showed up to give the 2 kids at the house an ear full. It's not everyday you arrive at the summer cottage to witness the wrath of a neighbour raining down fiery misery and righteous anger at your grandchildren.... Rachelle filled him in and he was shocked into silence. Poor guy.
Eventually the RCMP were able to round up enough kids who were at the party and eventually got the real story out of them. They have the name of the $#%%@$@ punk who did the thieving and the motherf####r that crashed the car actually turned himself in under pressure from his #$##@ buddies. Both #%#%#@ punks who are being charged with impaired driving and theft live in Courtenay. Thankfully, no local kids were seriously involved.

Then we went for a boat ride with Rob and Amanda where we did some snorkling, cliff jumping, and picnicking on a remote island. Crazy day.
8 comments:
I believe we may have heard a little bit of the wrath of Rachelle down here in the big smoke. Just glad we weren't a little closer as I suspect those two little excuses still have their ears wringing from the beratement. I trust they won't be back on Hornby for a while except to do a little community service.
Too bad about the car. It would be nice to see some restitution out of the little #@%*&!!.
Paul
PS. Don't forget the "pleasure gauge" is in the glove box.
That sucks.
But all I can think is "Man, you went back to get the camera just for a complete blog posting?" That's hard-core blogging.
I hope you at least blew the fire extinguisher off at them...
Cliff diving: Totally makes up for it.
That really sucks about the Suzuki. But I am very impressed at the level of investigation that the Mounties did. Perhaps you should consider christening the new studio in a "quantanamo bay" kinda way and go all Dick Cheney on their asses.
I know that wouldn't solve your problem, but man , you'd feel better.
&#%@ them.
Hey, but who's going to buy you a new car???
Way to go Columbo, I know how to beat the sh&* out of those kids and not leave any marks...call me;)
B.
It's truly sad the type of skillset my sister has picked up at her new job at Children's Aid ...
Anyway, as much as your day really did SUCK, and if I could figure out how to post this text in 40font I would do so, I just want to know if the cliff jumping was actually skinny dipping. What? We saw some Doug skin a few months back, didn't we?
~Jill
Hi Doug!
Strangely, I had an old e-mail of yours (from 2002) in my hotmail inbox and I thought...wonder what Doug's up to these days? Rachelle's pottery blog link was still intact - you'd sent me the url to that...and then I thought...wonder what would happen if I googled thebigchin and wham...I've been reading your blog with interest ever since. Although I've never been to Hornby Island I have cousins on Salt Spring and Mike and I visited a couple years in a row when we were working with the Canadian Antiques Roadshow. (In fact, we used a book appraiser from Hornby Island on a couple shows our last year - his surname name escapes me although I think his first name is Michael. ((At least I think he was from Hornby.)))
Anyway- you guys seem happy and it looks like life is treating you well.
Anyway- just wanted to say hello!
Christie
christiemike@rogers.com
Post a Comment