We went through Helliwell Park, sometimes called Hollywell Park, searching for the berries. There has been a huge eradication program this year to get rid of the Holly. It's a nasty invasive plant and sections of the park were in danger of becoming a monoculture of holly. It wasn't too long before we found a tree with berries on it so apparently there is a lot more eradication left to do. Hopefully, though, this will be the last year of being able to get holly berries in Helliwell.
I've never made a wreath before, but really, how difficult can it be? As it turns out, it was pretty easy. If I can make one in 45 minutes or so, I'd love to see what Rachelle could do in an hour.
4 comments:
Great looking wreath, Doug. I'm glad the Holly is disappearing from Helliwell. For us, we have Daphne on our lot and it's positively scary. Also, we can't at least make colourful Christmas wreaths out of it.
Couldn't make one prettier than this one if I'd spent TWO hours. It's all the green we could want to ring in Solstice.
One year, spending Christmas at Hornby, I forgot to bring along the box of ornaments. So, rather than a tree, I gathered up a great mixture of outside plants and made a huge table centerpiece. It included holly, cedar and fir branches, those white berries you see along the road, rose hips, cones and a few other things that I forget now.
It ended up being more memorable than many trees.
John and I are looking forward to being there permanently next year.
Great job on the wreath!
Post a Comment