Dec 11, 2010

HIFR Gets a New Online Look

I feel that one of my primary roles as a chief officer of Hornby Island Fire Rescue is to improve the relationship between the community and HIFR. Being an introverted computer geek, I figured out how I could advance toward my goal without actually having to talk to anyone. I could build a new website!

The Hornby Island Fire Rescue website was decidedly unfriendly. It WAS a great tool as an in house training aid, but there was nothing there for anyone outside of the department. There is a tonne of information that could be conveyed to the community if it was in an interesting and readable form. I think that the new site achieves that goal.

The big question is, "Does it really matter?". Will a new website and twitter feed really get our message out there? One month after launching it, we've got over 75 unique visiters, most of whom are getting to us by typing our URL into their browser or by bookmarking us. While that is incouraging, it remains to be seen if that trend will continue.

Check it out at hifd.org

No comments: