Dec 6, 2010

The House We're Building At Work

This is NOT the house that we're building but 
another one designed by the same architect
The house that we're building at work is already pretty cool and the only drawings that I've seen are the floor  plans and engineering drawings of the foundation. We've been building forms and getting the project ready for a couple of weeks now. Its 2 buildings built on a 5 inch thick insulated concrete slab covered by a single roof. On Friday the 2 slabs were poured with a 130ft concrete pumper truck.

Today I got a look at the roof plan and my jaw dropped so hard I bruised my chest! There are 7 planes to the roof, each at a different angle and pitch. It's absolutely stunning. The ceiling of the house will parallel the roof, for the most part, giving a 8 - 14 feet ceiling height.

It's going to be a big deal to frame, but I'm really looking forward to the challenge ahead for us. It's projects like these that make me feel really good about my decision to leave the high-tech field and take up building.

The house is designed by a Vancouver architect, called Marco Simcic. Here are a few pics of another house that Marco designed.

No comments: