Across the harbour from Vancouver, Lighthouse Park sits on Point Atkinson which is 1 of 24 manned lighthouses left on the BC coast. Point Atkinson is an area of sea cliffs and battered coastline that is home to countless harbour seals, oyster catchers, bald eagles, and more species of gulls than you can shake a paddle at.
It all started off a little bumpy, quite a lot of chop and a good ride to start our day, which was a little challenging to the healing hand. But eventually the coastal cliffs give way to a more calm inlet experience where the fir, pine and arbutus trees come down to meet the water. This is also where the multi million dollar architectural wonders come into view.
We stopped on a small island hosting the ruins of an abandoned lightstation for a bite to eat. From the front of her boat, Rachelle retrieved a couple of bento boxes filled with salmon and tuna sushi and rolls. It was quintessential Vancouver - kayaking, sushi, eagles, and in the distance, the urban skyline backed by the celestial presence of Mount Baker.
After a whole month of no potable water, 14 hurricane-strength wind storms in rapid succession, unsolicited deforestation of our parks and property.... a little R 'n R on the water was just what we needed to remind us of why it is we live on the Best Coast.
4 comments:
Wow, That looks like a great way to spend a day. Gotta say, I am very envious. I find I'm really missing being around significant water or even relatively easy access to.
The only things that would make your lunch more west coast would be if you were wearing berkinstocks
and doing Tai Chi.
Keep having fun
S&S: ya gotta keep up... Birks are out, Crocs are in... and I had mine in the back of my boat - and did a yoga stretch or two after climbing out of my kayak. Does that seal it? Oh yeah, we also lamented the clear cut we could see on the water front.
Sorry for the cultural faux pas.
I guess I'm out of touch since moving to Alberta. All I'm familiar with now are beef and red meat and cow and oil. Oh yeah, the conservative/ reform party.
Hey looks like fun... got to try that one day... nudge nudge!
Rachelle doesn't have to cook this time...
Looks like everyone enjoyed the weather out here!
Cheers!
Dan
Post a Comment