Oct 18, 2006

Privacy Screen


OK... They're a bit small yet, but they're going to grow like bastards!

I came across this guy called Justin who's in a wheelchair and was trying to get together money to buy a new arm operated bicycle. Would you believe that his older one was stolen!? Justin is trying to lead a car free lifestyle even though he already has a hand operated car set up for him.

He has a bike trailer that he uses to haul stuff around. His new hand bike was in the shop getting hookups braised on so he can haul around his regular wheelchair like a trailer. The dude is amazing and I left his place quite inspired.

One of the ways he tried to raise cash was to get ahold of 11000 baby cedar trees and sell them for donations. I gave him $20 and got 50 trees in 5 bundles of 10. He even threw in the spuds that you see in the photo. He had just dug them out of his garden.

The idea is to plant bunches of the cedars at the front of the plot on Hornby Island to try to grow a bit of a privacy screen over the years. I think I'll try to get some laurel bushes and use them between the cedar trees. The front of the yard should look pretty good in 10 years or so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love cedars. Especially when they are someone else's.