
We spent another productive weekend on Hornby, adding a deck to the cabin, painting the inside of the trailer and fixing a leak in the skylight.
We already had the footings poured from a previous weekend. I used the load of tongue and groove cedar that I scored from a demo sale a few months back as both the framing and decking for the project. I first removed the old nails, then ripped the tongues off with the new table saw.
There's still enough cedar left to build a boardwalk along the side of the cabin leading to the bathroom. I've found a few cement blocks that I can use a footings. The expanded deck should go a long way to keeping the mud and fir needles out of the cabin.

We'll see if building the deck around the tree turns out to be a bad idea or not, but right now we both think it looks great. Imagine a few pots of plants around the tree and a couple of deck chairs. mmmmmm....


While I was working on the deck, Rachelle painted the inside of the trailer. We had brought up a bunch of old paint that we had in the basement so it was a bunch of different colours. Most of the trailer got painted with a white primer, but the old bathroom got the yellow treatment with a green floor. It's like a new trailer.
It was also a weekend of catching up with friends. Strangely, two sets of good friends from East Vancouver were on Hornby. Our Hornby neighboors, Lisa and Paul, spent the weekend on Hornby so we got together for a bit with them.
Also Ron and Michael, who have been going to Hornby for years also picked the Thanksgiving weekend to make another trip. We spend Thanksgiving dinner with them at the Seabreeze Lodge. The Seabreeze put on an amazing turkey dinner with roaster root vegetables, garlic mashed potatos with carmelized onions, amazing stuffing and some local brussel sprouts and peas. It was a memorable dinner and a really good weekend.

1 comment:
Amazing what you are creating on Hornby!
Brent
Post a Comment