Jan 31, 2009

Airbrake Ticket

I've never been able to drive the big fire trucks because I don't have an air brake ticket. I'm in the same boat as 5 other newish members so t was time to get an instructor in to give a training session.

It's a pretty involved course involving 12 or so hours of classroom, a wack of practice time and evaluations. The instructor has this cool rig where he's able to take real air brake components, clip them on a board, then plumb them with quick connect air hoses. The whole thing runs off of one of our breathing apparatus air tanks. Hit the brake pedal and watch it all activate.

By the end of the day today I had passed my practical evaluation and am ready to hit the government for my written test. Once I get that I'll be certified to drive an air brake equipped vehicle.

Tomorrow is some classroom wrap up, some paperwork, then the firehall Superbowl party on our new big screen HD TV.

1 comment:

Siobhan Chinnery said...

congrats!!
I will wrap up my C.W. MaCall album and send it to you.
The kids can't wait for our next visit so they can don the gear and race around the island on the rear platform of the fire truck