Feb 1, 2008

There's no brew like home brew

As I alluded to in a previous entry, Ian and I have embarked on a craft brew odyssey. I love the idea of building my own beer, but have always found those kits less than rewarding. I've also tried dropping the yeast into the vat that was prepared by the friendly dude at the u-brew shop with similar results.

Ian did a pant load of research and figured out that brewing with whole grains from scratch is the only way to go and I hung on for the ride. After picking up a stunning amount of equipment from a propane burner to dozens of swing-top bottles at bargain basement prices, we met in Vancouver to procure the whole grains from a guy who's been selling grains to home brewers for more than a decade.

We gathered at Jules and Ian's house last Monday night to make up our first batch. Lawrence Nyberg came by as well. He's been making home brew for ages and was a great source of advice, assurance, and encouragement. He also makes amazing guitars.

Here are some photos of the event courtesy of Ian and Rachelle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on ya! Brew us up some tasty bevies, boys! Let me know if you need bottles...

Siobhan Chinnery said...

I've said it before, but it bares repeating.. Mmmmmmm BEER!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm predicting a slow down in the rate of blogging as the suds kick in. There may be other side effects, like an increase in the number of guests. Hope to see you soon.

Paul

Anonymous said...

Hmm....
As predicted, no new blog information.

P

PS

Must be a good batch.