It was a marathon first day. We paddled from Whaling Station Bay right around to Heron Rocks, which is about a quarter of the whole island. The scenery included stunning cliffs of composite rock, sculpted sandstone with clinging arbutus trees and every kind of sea urchin, star and sunfish were visible twenty feet below us. That's how clear the water was. And this is February! Any day now the whole place is going to be teaming with herring and then all hell breaks loose in the marine world. The Herring Run is predicted to start March 7 or 8 this year.
Five hours later we dragged ourselves back to shore having visited sea lions, seals, a multitude of shore birds including wood ducks, pintail ducks, loons and the requisite coastal eagles. It was sunny, warm, clear and calm. Perfect.
2 comments:
I'm so glad you guys finally made it paddling outside of your front yard! Looked like a great day.
Awesome. And I love the photo of Rachelle in the water - the unintentional? overexposure is very kabuki 8-)
WARM!!!!! Hmmm I wonder what this new word means. We tend to forget these little words and there meaning after a month like we have had with Brrrr temps and lots of snow with more on the way. I envy you, with so much sea live all around you. Sounds like a wonderful day.
Love A. Anne
Post a Comment