Dec 9, 2006

Where's the beef?!

Uncle Paul finds revenge best served with grill marks... and roasted potatoes. You see, ten months ago Paul had a heart attack while trying to corral an escaped cow. This is the same Uncle Paul who landed at the Vancouver General for a quadruple bipass. And this is the same cow that Paul had last night for supper.

Uncle Paul raised a tiny herd of beef from calf to yearling. Their diet consisted strictly of grass from Paul's front property and a little grain towards the 'end'. Today we went out to Chilliwack to pick up our years supply of beef. We split the whole animal with our Hornby neighbours, Paul and Lisa.

I don't actually have a photo of our cow "Blackie" before he met his end at the hand of the kindly but uncaring meat dresser. But we do have this photo him cut into his constituent parts and wrapped in butcher paper. Dressed, Blackie was about 776lbs.

Our freezer is filled to the brim with 5 whole organic chickens from a farmer in Duncan, Vancouver island, 70lbs of salmon and halibut fillets from a fishing husband and wife team from the Queen Charlotte Islands, and, of course, Blackie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! You should eat well this next year. I think I'll come to visit. Sarge

Ted Brunt said...

If you can't beat 'em, eat 'em.....

Dan Gronross said...

I'll be over for dinner on Thursday night! Say around 7:30ish?

Oh and I drink Stella!

LOL!

Dan