Dec 22, 2006

Seasonal Picks

I'm not normally one for blogging feel-good videos or for pushing my new favorite bands but I enjoyed both of these picks so much that I need to spread the word. Plus it's a slow day at work.

Rachelle just sent me a link to this video. This video is destined to be a top internet viral video. Its pretty short, well edited, a true story, and defines heartwarming.



My other pick is the latest New York City indie darlings. "Clap Your Hands, Say Yeah" follow in the footsteps of a long line of bands from NYC that caught the attention of rock and roll. They certainly caught my attention. I heard them first on a CBC Radio 1 show called Definitely Not the Opera and grabbed their record off of a bittorrent stream.

I loved it so much I prepaid for their upcoming record which isn't even due out until January 30. Anyone who likes the older Talking Heads or Violent Femmes material will love this record. This record was a do-it-yourself project for CYHSY from the writing to the art direction to the distribution.

All in all it was a pretty good year for music. I found a bunch of stuff that I'm pretty stoked about. Jurassic 5 had an amazing hip hop album in "Feedback". On the metal side of things, Rise Against and Avenged Sevenfold both had killer albums this year. Lila Downs had a beautiful album of Mexican folky songs.

It's also a great year for Canadian Independent music with top notch albums out from "God Made Me Funky", "Isis", "The Be Good Tanyas", and many more.

3 comments:

Ted Brunt said...

Hey, where do you guys buy your music? I still troll the used cd stores. I am not a fan of buying any music with DRM, but I feel kind of like I'm ripping the artists a bit by buying used. Mind you, they don't make much money if I bought it new in a store anyway.

I'm still angry about the move from vinyl to cd - where it was cheaper to produce the cds, and they still charged more. I've had it with the greedy corporations - I'm pushing hard to release a lot of CBC pieces with no DRM.

Unknown said...

I typically buy cds off of the band's website. It's often cheaper than a bricks and mortar shop and I suspect that more of the cash is going to the artist.

I haven't been going to live shows much anymore, but that was also a good place to buy music. You KNOW that all that cash is going directly to the artist.

I've never bought mp3's through iTunes or whatever. Like you, I hate that they have some sort of limits on where I can play it and what I can do with it.

Ted Brunt said...

Of course, we can always strip off the DRM. I think more of the money goes to the artist if paying online via iTunes etc., but it's still the record companies in control of the situation. Good on ya for buying direct.