Dec 11, 2011

The 2011 Christmas Tree Hunt

How can you not love going to an old gravel pit with a big ol' swede saw and harvesting your own Christmas tree. Since it's happened twice it's now a Christmas tradition to gather up Patrick and Michael and go on a hunt. Like an old school mushroom gatherer, I'll never reveal our super secret spot.. OK, its the old pit behind the firehall. 

The place is full of 10 - 15 year old fir trees that are way too close together to survive any more than a few more years. Every year we go up there it seems like there is more trees and they seem to get nicer and nicer. It took no time at all to pick out 2 beauties and a bunch of boughs to make into a wreath. 

I vaguely remember going in the car with the rest of the family when I was a young kid and cutting a tree by the side of a back road somewhere. I only recall doing that once or twice, then we got a series of artificial trees. I'm sure that they were pretty popular in the 70's.

When Rachelle and I started having our own Christmases together we always bought a groomed tree from a tree lot near where we lived. Tree lot trees sure have a much more uniform and full look, but they really are no match for spending an hour in the woods with a couple of good friends and bringing home your very own gravel pit Christmas tree.




2 comments:

Pat and Michael said...

Great looking tree! We had the best day with you both and we are excited to share more holiday cheer soon.

PS We are really happy we didn't put money on who blogged first.

Judith said...

How very Christmassy! Too bad there was no snow to round out that whole winter experience :) Or not.