Dec 31, 2011

Complete with grisly picture

Hands are amazing things. They are so strong, yet so fragile. They do so much heavy lifting but their structure is so delicate. They have an incredible ability to heal themselves considering the heavy use and abuse that they suffer. Most of the time a bandaid and some pressure is all that's needed. Occasionally, you may need some ice and some tape.

Every now and then, however, you notice something like a little finger sticking out to the side at about 45 degrees and a large lump where one had not previously existed. At those times you instinctively know that no amount of bandaids, pressure, or tape is going to solve that problem.

Longtime readers of this blog may recall several years ago when I broke my hand after falling off of a log crossing on Boundry trail when R and I still lived in Vancouver. That accident was a result of a cocky attitude and a feeling of invincibility, while this one was much more the opposite. It had been a month or more since I had been on my bike when I decided that I needed to break out of my Christmas sloth and get some exercise. As soon as I got onto the trails I realized how rusty I was. I rode really conservatively but still struggled. On the way back out on a flat section of trail my front wheel washed out and my right hand hit a tree, causing a spiral fracture in the small metatarsal.

I made my way back home and got Rachelle to drive me to the clinic to confirm what I already knew. From there we drove to St Joes in Comox where they took some pictures and arranged surgery in Campbell River the next day. I now have a plate and a handful of fasteners holding it all together.

Bright side:

  • This will improve the dexterity of my left hand 
  • Its not as bad as last time. They're saying 3 to 4 weeks recovery time.
  • Maybe my shoulder will finally heal up with an extra 3 weeks of down time.
  • I finally get to experience this oxycodone fad that's sweeping the nation.
  • We just upgraded our loss of work insurance through the fire dept to $500/week. 
Dark Side:

  • The bathroom wont get done on time.(like that was going to happen anyway) 
  • No work no money.
  • Tomorrow's polar bear swim gets a bit more complicated.

6 comments:

Judith said...

Ouch! I love the pros versus cons and hey, you've always wanted to be ambidextrous, right?

Darren said...

Hand looks gross. Now we can swap gross hand pictures. Have to haul mine out...

Siobhan Chinnery said...

Happy new year!!! We are going to have to start calling you frankendoug.

Pat said...

I am sure your positive attitude will help you heal faster and stronger than before. Now the rest of us mere mortals can keep up with you.

Rachelle Chinnery said...

I forgot to mention we saw Orcas on the way from Denman to Buckley Bay on this ferry ride over... one silver lining!

Logical Philosopher said...

Ouch. And *that* is why I am always looking for someone to ride with...