![]() |
| Saffron in Seaweed |
Saffron has such an amazing history, and it's the single most expensive spice in the world. Being able to grow my own saffron was the height of the herb garden experience - so I tried to start at the top.
Three years later, the bays have just barely held on, the lavender is struggling, and every last one of the saffron bulbs was killed dead in the winter of '09 when we had a meter of snow and -10 temperatures for about a month. I was pretty crushed.
Not a sign of the saffron for three years. Until today. This one bloom appeared from under the seaweed at the base of the magnolia tree. Is it a miracle? Is that angels I hear trumpeting its arrival? I know I love a good spa treatment of mineral-rich organic material.... and I guess this crocus does too. What a beauty, eh?
I'm so happy it's back I'm not even going to harvest its three little saffron strands - even though I could make the world's smallest dish of seafood paella with them.... next year my pretty.....

4 comments:
Congratulations Rachelle and Doug. What a beautiful story.
No, no, no; you've got it backwards. Our job is to be stewards of the earth. As the Tea Party would exhort: drill, baby, drill.
Plus, think of it from the poor crocus's perspective. Here she was thinking she's hardworking and as a reward would be chosen by the creator.
Aw - Darren. I have admired The Crocus. Is this not reward enough? ;)
Oh, well, I guess so. This time...
Post a Comment