Jun 22, 2011

Our New Gate

We were big gardeners when we were living in East Van. When moving here we knew that there would be a year or two where we would be too busy to build a garden. As it turns out it, 4 years went by while we banged our heads against all kinds of challenges from lack of soil to lack of water.

The most discouraging of all was the deer treating our garden as a living salad bar. Finally, this year I had enough and bought 700 feet of fencing to keep the bastards out. It took a few weeks but the fence is up and the cages around all of our plants have been removed. We did a bunch of weeding, created some paths, and what do you know... instant garden.

Here's a photo of our front yard from the front steps.

Rachelle and I walked along a bunch of beaches collecting driftwood for the gate and found a few great pieces. We came up with a beautiful design and it works like a charm. Check out the counterweight closer.

4 comments:

Arthurs House said...

Free the plants and damn the deer! Your gate is beautiful; congratulations to you both! You won!

John McLachlan said...

Bravo. Looks wonderful except now I can't step through invisibly like I have super powers.

Ok, that probably doesn't mean much to anyone but you, Doug.

Your choice of the word "bastards" for deer is inline with my feelings as well. Years ago, it was a rare occurrence to see two deer on the odd evening around our house. Now, it's not uncommon to see five and they almost walk up to you expecting a handout (I understand some idiots actually feed them). But, I digress.

Your gate looks fantastic and it must be a joy to have your garden as a garden. Well done.

Judith said...

Congratulations! I can almost hear the sigh of relief having it all closed in. LOVE the way the lines of gate mimic the lines on the house. Nice touch.

Anonymous said...

I just love your new gate. Keep up the great work.
A. Anne