After 150 hours of training, an equal amount of practicing, over 100 callouts and endless rolling of firehose I have been made an official firefighter. Aside from the pleasure of not having to be called "rookie" or "probie" any more, I get a small stipend for every practice I attend and will qualify for the benefits package when it arrives soon.
In a couple of weekends I head to Comox for a 2 day session involving live fire. There's a training facility there with a specially constructed concrete building that gets turned into a towering inferno. The idea is that inexperienced firefighters like me can get a good feel for what searching or attacking fire inside a hot building feels like.
I'm relieved that the pressure of 2 nights of fire practice per week has come to an end, and pretty proud of what I've accomplished. Thank you, tonnes, to all the other people who donated time to train us, test us, organize the whole process.
7 comments:
Good on ya! You made it!
Have fun at live fire!
Sweet news buddy!
Congrats on the accomplishment. And here I thought all you were doing over there was laying around building a house. I mean how lazy! ;)
Cheers!
Dan
Congratulations. Your grandfather is smiling on you. This structure in Comox must be like the one on Millidge Ave. in SJ. Good luck on the training weekend. Talk later.
Congrats! Now when my propane tank almost blows I'll just let it go and wait for you to show up.
Wow!! that accomplishment is indeed fantastic!!
Well done Bro.
Good job! Though I'm pretty sure I don't want to know what you did to earn the title "probie."
That's awesome Doug! Congratulations (a little late I realize but I'm just getting caught up)
Lianne
Post a Comment