May 20, 2008

May Long Weekend Gardening

Its the thing to do on the Vic day weekend, isn't it?

Rachelle recently received her order of 120 bay trees and 120 Provence Lavender plants. She dealt with all of the little devils by potting up half of the lavenders and putting the rest in the soon-to-be lavender field. The bay trees all went into pots until we can figure out exactly where to put them to maximize a privacy screen.


I moved some large rocks recently to add to the rock terraced garden that we're building below the well-ring septic system. I'm pretty stoked with how its turning out although I'm beginning to run low on large rocks. Those big rocks in the fore ground are large stepping stones doing double duty as stairs up the hill.

It was also the first weekend of the Farmer's Market here on the island. The market has been moved from the wide open grassy area into the forest. Many vendors are undecided on the new setup, but I thought it had a nice feel and will be pretty successful. Rachelle did fairly well and got a pretty good handle on her new space.

We took a bunch of the driftwood that we'd collected over the last few months and put together a display shelf that can be left at the market. There is actually three shelves on the rig. The bottom one has been removed for varnishing.

I went for a solo ride on Sunday and hooked up with a few friends and their guests from Salmon Arm. It was the fastest and most ambitious group ride I've been on since moving here. 3 trips up the mountain and no breaks other than making sure everyone was together at the bottom. I was beat but sure did have fun.

The trails are mint right now. Probably the best I've ever seen them. The new Slickrock trail is one of the best on the mountain right now. Come and sample some the amazing Hornby Island loam. Where else can you ride loam all day? Certainly not the North Shore.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doug, shhhh...