Mar 24, 2008

Epic XC

Today I felt like taking my newly fixed mountain bike out for a nice ride. It's newly fixed because on the last ride my dérailleur ate a stick or more appropriately a stick ate my derailleur. Through a comedy of escalating calamities I ended up with a crunched chain ring, a busted derailleur hanger, a useless chain, and a shift cable that was hopelessly kinked. I spent a bunch of time at Jeremy's bike shop on Saturday and got it all fixed up.

Today I called Al Cannon to see if he felt like going for a rip on the mountain. I had a good idea what I was in for. Al rides with a team of roadies in the Comox Valley and also spends a fair amount of time in the bush on his mtb. I was feeling pretty good so I agreed to a nice long cross country ride.

We ended up climbing the mountain twice, we traversed it 4 times, and also rode down the back side to the ferry terminal, and then did another minor loop to pick up some clothing that I had left in the bush. I figure we rode 50-60km in total with lots of elevation change.

Al is a demon and he destroyed me. I'm so whipped I can hardly move.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a glutton for punishment!
Ballsy choice to go riding with the Mechanical Rabbit! Props, dude!