Because I just can't get enough of island life, I agreed to get together with four friends for a get-away on Galiano Island, one of the southern Gulf Islands.
Jules and Olive the Exquisite Labradoodle and I left Hornby at 10a.m. and arrived at the cottage, three ferries later, at just after 5p.m. The drive was spectacular along the Malahat Highway, which overlooks the Georgia Straight. The fall leaves, while not even close to the colourful explosion on right now in the East, were still quite breathtaking.
We stayed at a comfortable cedar cottage owned by a friend of Carolyn's and we ate voraciously, drank copiously, and hiked vigourously around Galiano over the three days we were there. Highlights include the midden beach, once inhabited by aboriginal people for a stretch of 4000 years. Also, a small swallow hit the window of the cottage and I managed to bring him out of his stupor and see him back into flight. This was an almost identical scenario to the last time I resuscitated a small bird. I'm starting to get a complex!
Autumn colours on a local level involve the berries on our Arbutus trees, unique to the West Coast. The berries range from bright yellow to deep red. A few years ago I picked some of these to decorate our Christmas tree - that's how long they last.
I love coastal flora!
No comments:
Post a Comment