Lately, though, I've been thinking a lot about not getting a fix of sunny granite this summer and I've been jonesin' a bit. I said, "Hell ya! I'll be right there!"
Rob has an amazing shop. Its freaking HUGE! Big enough for a good sized climbing wall, a wood shop, a metal shop, a painting studio, and a warehouse sized main room.
Rob and Al are pretty much self taught climbers and have worked this wall for years now. As a result, all the small holds are at the bottom and the big ones are near the top where it gets steep.
I laced up my shoes, sat down on the mat, grabbed the biggest hold I could find, and pulled down. I heard the dreaded climbers "pop" and knew immediately what happened. I've never actually ruptured a finger tendon before, but I do know that they take a long time to recover. Something like 6-8 weeks!
So far it's only that particular finger that's sore, and hopefully it'll stay that way. I'll see what happens when I pick up the shovel tomorrow. In the meantime it's ice and vitamin "I".
7 comments:
Man that sucks. I hope your at least able to function normally. My sling came off after 6 weeks...
man , does it ever feel nice.
Are you supposed to splint it, or wrap it , or just ice? Is it the sort of thing that has to be operated on?
Heal up, my brotha!
Scott
Heal up Bro!
Dan
I see ... so based on the title, we're supposed to believe the reason for the rupture was because of what the holds were made of ... nothing at all to do with your lack of practice all summer? Hmm?
~Jill
With the right treatment (quick with the ice for example) you can usually heal up a bit quicker.
Likely it is a tendon pulley rather than the tendon. They are the ones that make that pop sound. It sometimes helps to loosely put a ring of tape around your finger when you are working.
Good luck and fast healing!
Yeah, those can heal up faster with good treatment.
That sucks.
I'm sure you are now #1 on Hornby when it comes to "giving the finger". They'll be able to see it from the mainland! Hope you'll install the supports under that 9-foot over hang before you actually create the overhang. I'd hate to see you caught in a sudden snow-squall with no support;or, were you going to use those 'savages"?
Unca Warren
I just pulled the same crap with my finger. I have it in a splint and I'm icing it down. Any other advice? Btw, what does 'vitamin 'I" mean?
Post a Comment