Oct 9, 2007

Rafters Complete... Savages take over.

We finished the internal rafters... We went for a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner... The savages moved more of the big kiln... We collected over 500 gallons of water... All in all it was a pretty good long weekend.

While I was climbing around on the new construction, Rachelle and Jules brought over another few loads of bricks from the large gas kiln that was given to her. They collected several trips worth of specialized fire brick from the kiln and stacked them in the kilns future location on our property.

We just watched "300" so here's Jules and Rachelle doing their best impression of the Chippendale Dancers.. Errrr... I mean, the Spartan warriors. The kiln saw over 200 firings without a rebuild so you can imagine how sooty it was.

The Seabreeze Resort, here on Hornby is a great place to go for dinner. They're only open for special occasions outside of the summer season, and one of these occasions is Thanksgiving. They throw a great turkey dinner buffet. After enjoying last year's dinner so much we went again this year.

Near the end of the meal, the owner came by to tell us that Rachelle's mom, Dorothy, had called up and put a large amount of money onto our bill. Apparently, she told him to sing "Happy Birthday" as well, but he never DID do that. R's birthday isn't till next month, but this was an excellent birthday gift. Thanks, Ma!

Knowing that the rains were coming I hustled to put the final touches on the rain collection system. It still needs some dressing up... the pipes need to be all painted brown and instead of a 2x4 tripod, we'll build a beach log trellis... but it worked like a charm and we collected 500 gallons of fresh rainwater in 24 hours.

It's raining like a bastard right now so I'm expecting anther 500 by tomorrow morning. Pretty soon, I'm going to have to put the other tank in play.

That's about all for now. I'll leave you with a slideshow of the rafter construction. Not something everyone is interested in, but this is really more about documenting our house construction so if you're not interested, then move on to your next blog.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you're using the 2.5 " nails for the rafters and blocking - safety first Chin!!

Anonymous said...

The Town Savages...

Brings tears to my eyes...

See you folks soon.

Dan

Siobhan Chinnery said...

We were planning a different gift for Rachelles B day, but after seeing the " Town Savages" I think we will just send somoe raw meat.

The place gets better looking with every update.
Keep on keepin on

Scott