It sure is slow going when you're working on a roof by yourself. Never underestimate the value of having someone on the ground to pass up material. I must have climbed up and down that ladder a hundred times on Saturday.
Here's what I did:

|
The left shot is the dormer edge before I got started. The first job was to cut and install the fascia board so it fit tightly to the main roof.
There's no way I'd be able to fasten the soffit boards onto the strapping because of the clearances between the strapping and the roofing near the peak. I needed to close off any way of mice getting into the house so I took some cedar, cut out the profile and fastened it onto the strapping. |

|

This is looking down the roof, showing the closed off area. I once asked Wayne how the mice got onto the roof, and he said, "I dunno... Maybe the eagles drop them."
Once that was done on both sides, I laid the tar paper down and fastened down the 4 metal roofing panels. Now there is no internal house space that doesn't have roofing over it. There's still 2 peices that need to be cut and placed over overhangs, but there is no longer a tarp on our house!

The day is done. My back was sore and I can't bear the thought of going up that ladder one more time. I had a tonne of tools to clean up and there was no running water for me to wash off with. Oh well... there was beer!

The deer are loving spring. There's grass, tender shoots, and yummy plants all over the place. These guys were in our neighbors, Paul and Lisa's, yard.
I guess they're molting because their coats are looking pretty ratty. I love seeing them around, but I may feel differently about them when they graze their way through our salad bar of a garden.
|

|

|
This robin had made a nest on top of a sliding glass door that is ready to be placed into the house. I guess there'll be no slider until the babies have been laid, hatched, and fledged. Actually, after I fired up the chainsaw to clear out the area where our water storage tanks will go the robin left the nest and I didn't see it again.
I also heard an owl around twilight and saw many barn swallows, towhees, eagles, and ospreys. |
3 comments:
Doug,
Looks more and more like a house. In turn looks better and better weekend!
Cheers!
Dan
Barn swallows are the best. Like having little friendly kids flitting around all the time.
Nice work!
I gotta say at the risk of being too mushy, as I was looking at the pic of you sitting on your front porch with a beer, I realized how much I miss you guys. The look on your face is exactly how I remember you. Looks like you're making great progress on the house, keep up the good work. I'd love to hear more about the septic system (that doesn't sound right, lol) I was selling rain barrels at an Earth Day event I was working at today so I'll look forward to more posts about it.
Post a Comment