Feb 4, 2007

Slinging Dirt

I'm too busy to draft up another full featured article about completing another job on Hornby. Besides, I suspect everyone is probably getting pretty tired of hearing about it. I'll keep it short.

We went over this weekend for 2 reasons. The first was to meet with Wayne Roberts, our building consultant. Wayne is a builder on Hornby and we've hired him on an hourly basis as a consultant. He went over our plans on Saturday and spent 3 hours drawing diagrams and learning great tricks and tips for a successful building.

Once we start building Wayne is going to come by every day to see what we've accomplished and give some suggestions on what is coming up. I feel much better knowing that we have him as a resource.

The other task for the weekend was to move the 24 cubic yards of fill to under the cabin. Our excavator saviour, Garth, had other commitments for this weekend and wasn't able to move it with "Little Red Giant". Rachelle and I filled an unimaginable number of wheelbarrow loads and transported all 24 yards over to the cabin.

Oh ya... One more thing... In an move that will leave most people shaking their heads in wonderment of our masochistic nature, 2 weeks before construction begins we've shortened the house to 16-17 feet tall from 20. Sorry, Dan.

Twenty feet was simply too tall. When we stood on the property and looked at the site, we realized just how out of place the house would be. The kitchen loses almost a foot of headroom and the loft loses 2 or so feet. I was franticly redrawing the framing plans on the ferry on the way home so we could fax out lumber order today.

Gawd. I hope it's right!

6 comments:

Dan Gronross said...

You are just like every other client... changes constant changes!

No worries...

Dan

Anonymous said...

Dan, don't think of it as change, think of it as a concentration of your creativity - distilling it, as it were. Making it smaller and more powerful....Less is more an' all that. Besides, I don't lose the head room - it's Doug who will be walking around in a perma-bow!

Anonymous said...

Please don't stop talking about your new home that both of you are building TOGETHER. I don't think Warren and I could ever complete something like D & R are doing. I admire both of you in your undertaking and from the sounds of things you will complete this project and be on speaking terms. Good Luck
Anne

Rachelle Chinnery said...

Anne, just because we're smiling in THIS photo doesn't mean we're smiling all the time!! But I have to admit, it is all going quite well. I think two weeks of adventure kayaking every year has trained us to weather the bumps!

Ted Brunt said...

Yah, we want to hear every detail! The crappy feeling not being able to pitch in is somewhat appeased by hearing and watching the work. Go go go!

And that last photo - I hear "Greeeeeeen Acres" theme music, Mr. Douglas.

Rachelle Chinnery said...

Ted, Zsa Zsa here. The beauty of Hornby is I don't have to give up my organic Oolong tea OR my organic Dark Roast Peruvian coffee....and Doug can still wear the rubber boots he wears all over Vancouver!