We picked up a Porter Cable framing nailer, a cheap stapler, a compressor, a handful of fittings, and 50 feet of air hose. Just as I was thinking, "Holy crap! How are we going it pay for this?!", I saw the price of the nails! I'm STILL in shock!
I'm looking at it as an investment in my new career. I figure that if I have my own nailer and air tools, plus I have some experience building a house, then all of a sudden I'm looking a lot better to a builder who's looking for some help.
We've started gathering together all the stuff that we're going to need for the two weeks that we'll be on Hornby. Our living room is filling up with tools, food, clothes, hardware, and blogging tools like cameras and tripods.
Lots of friends have really come though for us for this building push. Jules and Ian on Hornby have always been amazingly supportive of us and now they've said that we can put people up at their place if needed.
Paul and Lisa, who own the place next door to us on the island, have given us their place to cook and put up workers.
Tom and Iain are coming up with me on Friday for the weekend to kick things off. Marc Lemieux is flying in from Kingston to help for a week. My mom flies in from Calgary next Thursday to free up Rachelle from cooking for the workers so she can un-holster that new staple gun. The second weekend has theMasterPlanDan and Jeff and Sarah coming up to build and take the occasional bike ride. Then on the last weekend my friend and co-worker Russell comes up.
The support is all quite overwhelming and makes me think that this whole thing just might be doable after all. This is the part of the roller coaster ride where we're just starting to head up that first giant hill and you're both excited and starting to break a sweat!
3 comments:
Congrats Doug and Rachelle. You are one step closer to your dream!
You realize I am only there for the food right?!??!?
Kidding man, can't wait to get out the and throw a hammer around for a bit.
Cheers!
Dan
I'd be making an understatement if I said it's merely 'admirable' that you've set such a big goal for yourselves and you're actually going for it. You are really and truly DOING it. Taking life by the gonads and jumping right in! For crying out loud, Aaron & I set lame goals like 'we really should get some painting done around here' and then wait until we have a deadline like a closing date before we do anything about it.
Good on ya! (to say the least) ~Jill
Post a Comment