Where do the damn hours go? It was a really busy week spent mostly on preparing to go to Hornby Island this weekend.
Monday evening: Rachelle recently got a nice order from the Jonathon Bancroft-Snell Gallery in London, Ontario. She was busy in the studio building work for that order and for the Circle Craft Christmas show in November, so I took the scrub brush and hose to about a dozen sheets of roofing. While I'm up building the roof, Rachelle will be able to paint this new batch and it'll be ready to install when we build the next extension later this fall.
Tuesday night: I went riding with 4 really nice people. All were excellent riders and have been riding the shore for years. Peter Campbell is one of the original trail builders. Sharon Baden is the president of the NSMBA, which is the association that maintains the trail system and lobbies for access. Lee Lau is also heavily involved in the NSMBA and a long time shore rider. Dan Gronross is a guy I met trail building and is going to be the Corporate Sponsorship liaison for NSMBA.
I got led down trails with hidden entrances that I've only heard spoken of in hushed tones. Soft forest loam in between steep rock faces kept coming and coming. The common trails on the North Shore have been armoured with rock to prevent erosion. The hidden trails, tho, still have the original forest floor. Soooooo nice!! Thanks Lee, Sharon, Peter, and Dan. That was one of the best rides ever!
Wednesday night: I recently picked up more reclaimed cedar. Its 2x8 tongue and groove that was used as the base for a roof. As a result its FULL of nails and staples from years of re roofing. I pulled the nails out of a bunch of it and then with the table saw, ripped the tongues and grooves off. I'll use this stuff to build the deck out in front of the cabin. I was able to go about a dozen boards and there's got to be 50 left to do.
Thursday night: Rachelle has insisted, and I agree, that we need a skylight in the roof above the toilet. It would be a real pain to have to turn on a light every time you went into the crapper. Last night we went to Rona/Revy and picked up a 2x4 foot skylight and a flashing kit. The instructions on how to install it look fairly straight forward, but I'm feeling a certain amount of trepidation since I've never installed one before. Stay tuned for the report when we get back.
Tonightwe load up the truck and head to our little paradise. More blogging on Tues or Wed night.
No comments:
Post a Comment