Aug 23, 2006

Amazing Day on the Chief

Mike and I went climbing again. We blasted up 22 pitches from the Apron parking lot to the top of the 2nd peak. We started up "The Bottom Line (5.9)" at about 10AM, continued up "2 Scoops... (5.10d)", "Broomstick Crack (5.6)", and finished up "The Ultimate Everything (5.10b)".

It was a perfect day for it. We got off of the hard slab pitches by the time the sun hit it and there was a nice breeze blowing for the rest of the day.

This photo is me climbing the 3rd to last pitch. Mike did up the last pitch in fine style. It is a hard traverse with no foot holds and it scared the bejeesus outa me. It was supposed to be my lead, but I backed off and gave him the sharp end. That guy's a monster!

The red line on this photo shows approximately the route that we took.

2 comments:

David Griebeling said...

Hey Doug and Rachelle...

Thanks for swinging by my site, so I thought I'd check out yours.

Looks pretty nice.

Best wishes,
Dave G.

Anonymous said...

I just spent the last 45 min. exploring your blog and the trip ... great reading! Some of those shots are stunning. I've told Ted to check it out -- he'll want to know what camera you were using!

And I can't wait to show Connor your route up the Chief. He'll be in awe. I can't remember what the "d" means in "5.10d" ... dangerous?

Best to both of you!

Heather