Dec 9, 2007

A Great Weekend

There were some big events and some smaller pleasures, but all in all it was a weekend packed with happy events. Here's a list of the ones that I can remember:

  • Saturday was a bright and shiny day so we went for a mountain bike ride. It was Rachelle's first time on a MTB, and we got a really nice loaner for her to try out. Jeremy lent us his dirt jumper built up with hydraulic disks and a sweet drive train. We sampled some of the more moderate Hornby single track in a big loop that brought us back to the house to find Carl working on Fugly.

  • Fugly has been dead for a couple of weeks and I always suspected the problem had something to do with the coil. As it turns out the wire that brings power to the coil had a break in it. There was enough contact to register on the electric meter, but not enough to carry a load. What a nefarious problem to troubleshoot but correct the problem we did! It still hesitates at times, but it runs well enough to get me back and forth to work and the depot and will make it into town so that Andyk the truck whispererl can get it back into tip top shape.

  • At that point I was in such a good mood that things were going so swell that I hooked up the compressor and nailer and headed up onto the roof to do some strapping. I worked until near dark getting a bunch done when Rob showed up to answer my electrical questions, hand out advice, and check out my wiring diagram. While he was here, Greg came by to see what was necessary to get our new gas stove working. Everything that we needed Rob had in his shop somewhere. We formulated a plan for the next day and everyone headed their own directions.

  • Dinner was Rachelle's 48 hour tomato sauce and meatballs on rigatoni with a delicious bottle of Chianti.

  • After dinner we got invited to Pete and Judith's for eggnog and banana splits. OK, that was only because I had a bottle of rum on hand for the eggnog, but still...

  • Greg, as promised, came by today and after fixing my previous screwups was able to get our new stove working. Right now we're running off of a 20lb BBQ propane tank until we can find something in the neighborhood of a 75 - 100 lb model, but we're now cooking inside - with gas!
  • While I was down at Rob's shop picking up the gas fitting supplies he noticed a hot water heater that he had been meaning to give away to some lucky recipient. That's another $400 we won't have to spend in the short term.

Was that good weekend or what?! If you had a better one, I'd love to hear about it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a weekend. Six months on the island and you've made some wonderful contacts and friends. The stove looks great and should cook that Xmas bird to perfection. Congratulations.

Unknown said...

Doug - that's awesome. Sounds like a whirlwind weekend - and an oven too!

Congratulations and Take care!

Anonymous said...

Rachelle is looking slick on that bike.

Man I miss those them trails, they were so much fun.

Have a safe and Merry Christmas guys and I'll try and get out there in the new year!

Cheers!

Dan

Anonymous said...

Yeh!! Well here's my weekend. My 2 friends and I went on a 2 hour hike on a gorgeous trail (part of the bruce trail) up at Mt. Nemo. Beautiful day of sun around 0C. I can really go now in rough terrain with my new pacemaker. I had a great hike. When I arrived home Jill had invited us up for a ham dinner with the Brunts (Brenda was already busy). On Sunday we decorated our tree. Great weekend.
Love Aunt Anne

Anonymous said...

Hey Chin,

Sounds way better then my weekend spent in the mall looking for Christmas presents for the family :(.

Looks like the house is coming along very well. Samantha and I will have to stop by the next time I am over visiting my mom.

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!!!!
Dually!