Dec 19, 2007

Day Off... Go To Town...

OK, here it is... perhaps the most boring 'blog post ever... My trip to town...

It's been raining pretty hard here for the last few days. Wayne is either afraid that the rain will harm the concrete that we will be pouring or he's afraid that the rain will make for a miserable day at work. Maybe a combination of the two. In any case he called a rain day today so I went to town.

I tried to finish the roof strapping last weekend but ran out of 2x4s. Today I picked up enough to finish the job, and a few extra as well. 2x4's can always be pressed into service for almost anything. While there I also got another 4 bags of Roxul insulation, a few last minute Christmas things, and some food items.

I want to permanently install the stove's propane tank on the "business" side of the house so I got a spool of copper pipe. I paid $90 for a spool that would have cost me less than $50 a year and a half ago. Commodity prices have gone a long way towards erasing the benefits of low interest rates when building a house.

I kept running into Jeremy and Angeleah whilst going through my errands. When the islanders go to town we all end up at the same spots... Building supply stores, Liquor Store, ferry line ups, and grocery stores.

OK, so here's a humourous moment in an otherwise uneventful day... I'm talking to Jeremy, also a Hornby Island volunteer firefighter, in a hardware store about where the fire equipment supply store is. I wanted to pick up a refillable compressed air and water fire extinguisher and there's only 1 place in town that can be trusted to have them. A woman overheard our conversation and helpfully suggested that you can get extinguishers from the fire department. Jer and I looked at each other and started to laugh. The poor woman wasn't sure what was so funny until we told her that we were both in the Fire Department.

Rachelle took off today and went down to Nanaimo to pick up her mom who comes in tomorrow on the ferry. Dorothy's been visiting kin in Chilliwack and is coming up to spend Christmas with us. She'll be here a couple of weeks. She's been warned that it's a pretty rough setup in the house, but she's totally game. We'll see how she feels by New Year's Eve.

As a reward for getting this far, here's a photo from a few weeks back of a spider on the edge of a 2x4. This guy was one of the bigger spiders I've seen around here. We were letting them hang out in the skylights because they pretty much rid the house of flies. Then one day I saw the egg casings and knew that a million of them were imminent, so out they went.

1 comment:

Siobhan Chinnery said...

That's it!!! I couldn't possibly inconvenience you by staying in your new home...


I will find a nice, close arachnid-free hotel on the island where I can be close, ever so helpful, and free of GIANT spider egg-sacks!

Siobhan