Sep 9, 2007

Floor done... Bring on the Square Dancers

Sunday was an epic day of accomplishment. The floor of the west wing is done and is ready to have some walls built on top of it.

I've been asked about the "pressure blocking" method of putting joists together so before I covered the whole thing in plywood I took some pictures to explain. The idea is that you put your joists in place and instead of using hangers you nail them into a block of wood that fits securely between each joist and its neighbour.

My impression is that it's fairly important to make each joist fit tightly between the blocks so that it can't move, twist, or rack. If you're really careful about your measurements you can pre-cut all the blocks and the building process is pretty quick after that.

In the photo to the left you can see some detail of the completed joists and beams. The beams are 3 2x10's fastened together, and you can see how the joists and the pressure blocking fit together. I have to give credit to Dave Stringfellow who suggested that I do this when I was thinking about building the main house. It's the best method I've found yet for building a floor.

Once the joists were all installed we started screwing and gluing the plywood decking. Rachelle went ahead and spread the glue onto the joists while I screwed the sheets down onto the decking. We finished just in time to have a drink on the future west wing before the sun left us running for our sweaters.

I'm feeling damn good about getting that part of the project finished. It was months ago that we started digging the holes for the foundation pilings. It takes forever to build foundations but framing happens so quickly. We're now all ready for the crew to come raise some walls.

5 comments:

Ted Brunt said...

Never seen that before - what a great idea. Now you'll be able to sneak around the West Wing at night without wakign up you future Ontarian guests.

The Clements said...

I know it's asking a lot, but it would be great to see some sort of floor plan of the place. I see a sliding patio door, but yet you just built another room, not a deck. Will the patio door remain? What is the intended purpose of the new wing?

~Jill

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Congratulations on your progress. It looks great. Wish I could be there to see the walls of this part go up. Had a great weekend in Edmonton at Len Gilbert's wedding. Good luck this coming weekend and I've put in an order for fantastic weather.

Mom

Unknown said...

Congrats to both of you! Fantastic!! Please have a drink on me too, and I will bring my dancing boots over in no time:-) Keep up the good work...

Anonymous said...

Used the blocking on the tops of the walls of Connor's clubhouse. Saves notching the roof rafters, and provides a more solid roof support. Ted wasn't around when I did it, so that's why he's "Never seen that before."Place is looking great. I'm assuming that floor you just laid is where you'll be parking the ski-doo, right? It's certainly strong enough!