May 30, 2010

Pantone Attacks Hornby

While Doug was at Fire School this weekend (report pending), I got hit with the Pantone Pandemic. Brushes, rollers, tape, floor cloth, newspaper, and four days with nobody in the house was what I needed for this project. Some time in the distant future we plan to build an island that will service as both counter top and table for 6-8, but in the meantime we needed a pick-me-up. It's such a radical change that I'm still wearing my sunglasses.

I'm usually an extremely careless painter but because I painted, sanded and filled all the cracks of this floor... not a single drop of unwanted paint was going astray. Ten hours of straight brushwork got the plywood counter covered with Granite Moss... the table with Grass Daisy, and the chairs with Indian Mais. ( I want that paint naming job!) I also reupholstered the chairs with a Japanese chrysanthemum pattern that is totally  G.I.R.L (Going Irretrievably and Radically Lovely). Together with Lupins from Elaine's garden and - whoa!!! The kitchen is a different world.

Despite all my efforts to protect the floor... I woke up to find little tiny buttercup prints all over the place. Buttercup-shaped prints that look quite a lot like, well, say, cat paw prints. It seems Miss Sterling Silverfoot found a little puddle of paint and added her own special touch. I applaud her contribution.          

5 comments:

Kirsten Chursinoff said...

Congratulations. It's gorgeous. Colour, yes colour.

eve. said...

I love the colors. I can completely relate to how wonderful it is to have favorite treasures out after a long period of storage. I appreciate my "stuff" a lot more after a couple of years without it. Of, course that stuff got thinned out too, so there is a lot less of it. I see your masks on the wall. Great work on your home.

Anonymous said...

"Its a little bit country" I love it and what is that stainless steel fridge doing in there??? It looks awesome. When can we come and visit?? Stephanie

Life of Red said...

Ummmm. like.... wow.... well done. sheesh, whoa, woe, and ya hoo. It looks spectacular. I love it. You guys rock.

Anonymous said...

Hey Doug and Rachelle
I haven't stopped by the blog for a bit. Your house is beautiful. Congratulations on getting to this point - and the door is VERY cool.
Hope you are both well
Lianne