No one I've spoken to about turning 50 is ambivalent about the number. It's either a great big hairy downer, or it's an occasion for grand celebration. I have chose the latter. Paul and Lisa hosted a gathering of about forty people, some from away, some from here, and some who are dinner guests on a weekly basis.
Nine people came from Vancouver and The Big Island. Because we are not in the position to house more than one or two guests at a time, Rob and Amanda offered to put them up at the Dive Lodge. Amanda also hosted a multi-dish banquet style brunch for us the next morning.
At the party house, Jules, Michelyn and Allison hung lanterns and placed candles all around the room giving it a truly festive atmosphere. I made seafood and chicken manicotti with tomato sauce; Ian made a gorgeous upside-down pound cake decorated with flowers; Amanda made a maple swirl magic cake decorated with fall leaves; Jeff and Sarah brought a Saint Honore cake from Vancouver, and Laura showed up with a pumpkin pie not knowing that Doug makes me one every year for my birthday - except this year! And then there were the myriad salads and other dishes brought by guests.

My old friend Tracy, from Toronto, put together a photo montage of pictures she had of my extreme youth (with heaps of hair). Doug plugged that into the TV for all to see. Despite asking that no gifts be brought, gifts - they were brought. Thoughtful gifts like wine and edible delicacies. It was great to be surrounded by people I love and admire. The conversations were all interesting, everyone mixed well and the general atmosphere was comfortable, uplifting, and - well - joyous.

Doug was the mover and shaker of this memorable do. It was thanks to him that it got off the ground and was as successful as it was. And to top it all off - he put on a show of fireworks on the front lawn! I married the right man. And I have a fantastic group of friends. Life is great. And now .. almost.. I'm ready for the second half!!
3 comments:
That was so much fun, I can't wait to turn 50!!!
We would be happy to host.
Happy birthday, Rachelle!
I hope I can stare down 50 the way you did. Congrats!
Post a Comment