Nov 23, 2009

Back at Home


We just got in after 4 days away. No one is happier than Sterling the silver footed cat. Although she often sleeps on our bed and occasionally on top of someone who happens to be covered with her blanket, she is definitely not what I would call a lap cap. However, as soon as Rachelle sat down Sterling jumped up onto her lap and hasn't left yet.

We had been to Victoria to take part in the "Out of Hand" Christmas craft show. The show, itself, went off OK, but it was being put up at Garth and Joanna's that was a huge highlight. They, and the rest of their clan, are 4 of the nicest folks you'll ever meet. We felt a connection with them as soon as we started to get to know them a year or 2 ago. They gave us a comfortable bed, breakfast, dinner, and shared their jawdropping selection of super-primo single malt scotches and beer.

No trip down-island is complete without a stop to Darrel's Road House in Qualicum. As usual Darrel made dinner to coincide with our late arrival, plied us with wine, and also gave us a very comfortable bed.



It was a good thing that we felt very well taken care of with the devastating news that came out of our quiet, and normally peaceful, island. Anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about can just do a google news search for more information.

Being at a Christmas show and trying to be as friendly and cheerful as possible with the constant thoughts of the extinguishing of a flame that burned so brightly was very disorienting. We wanted so badly to be at home with the rest of our community. Without the incredible kindness of Garth, Joanna, and Darrel, it would have been so much harder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about Hornby Island's great loss. I can understand why you both would have preferred to be with your community. I hear you are going to Calgary on the 26th of November for a celebration of birthdays. I hope everyone has a great time. Keep your blogs coming even though McCrea's are very lack in this category. Sometime I must get Warren to show me how to blog. I seem to have more time.
Love you both and happy birthdays.
A. Anne

Anonymous said...

I am also very sorry to hear this kind of new coming from Hornby. There was another news clip from Hornby today which is a bit more optimistic (thank God) about a hiker who survived rock climbing and falling from a cliff, to be found several days later, and now recovering from a #pelvis. You guys are on the map. Have a great time in Calgary, Stephanie