Some who are more familiar with building timelines will ask why I built the deck before finishing the wiring, plumbing, and drywall. There is a really good reason and I would tell you what it was if I could only remember, myself. In any case, its up and its beautiful and here's how it all went down.
| I started by notching the posts to accept the girder. You can see the fine woodworking tool that I used in the right side of the photo. I used the magic laser level to set all the levels on the posts so the resulting beam is nice and level. String levels are for CHUMPS! |
 |
| I screwed the girders into the posts using 5" lag screws and countersunk the heads so they wouldn't interfere with the second ply. |
 |
| I felt like one 2x8 was a pretty sketchy girder so I laminated a second one on to stiffen it all up. |  |
| I dug a few pier blocks into the dirt at the midspan and cut a hunk of 4x4 to support the girder. The 4x4 also locks the girder into place onto the pier block to keep the girder from twisting. |  |
| From that point on it was a matter of putting up some joists and decking. I had some 2x10's left over from the studio rafters so I used them to box in the decking. The decking, itself, is simply spruce 2x6's. They're super cheap right now and should remain mostly dry because of the massive overhang. Rachelle coated the decking with a concoction that makes the boards look as though they've been sunbleached. |  |
OK, so here's why we built the deck now... In order to run power to the studio we need to use the cable that is currently (pardon the pun) powering the kiln. So if we poach that cable then there is nothing to run the kiln, so it'll have to be moved over to the studio. The deck is there so the kiln will have a place to sit.
The studio wiring is almost complete and here's almost enough drywall to do the job. My brother, Scott, is coming in early Sept. Hmmm... I think I have a job for him!
3 comments:
Wow!! What a great deck and a door also. It looks awesome. Sure hope you've gotten more sleep lately. Keep up the great work.
we need an update of the whole compound! post some pictures of the house and the studio, so we can get a perspective. Looks fabulous !!
Siobhan
PS Scott sucks at drywalling.... you may want him to cook?
Looks great!
I get the sense that if you could, you'd cut birthday cake with a chainsaw.
Post a Comment