May 18, 2009

It's not ALL fun and games around here

Lest you think that I've been doing nothing but rock climbing, bike racing and pizza making, here are some shots of some actual progress in house/studio construction. Last weekend the roofing for Rachelle's studio arrived and today we started installing it.

Between Al, Big Jer, Rachelle, and myself we were able to manhandle the 30' sheets of steel roofing up onto the roof where Al and I screwed them into place. The first few went up really quickly and then we ran into the skylight boxes.

At that point, each sheet needed to be custom cut to fit around the skylights... a tedious and time consuming job. That was pretty much lunch time so Rachelle made us a great lunch of barbequed burgers. By that time all the heavy lifting was done to get the sheets onto the roof so I released the guys to get on with their days. I continued, though, cutting more metal to fit the skylight boxes. I'm am so sorry I designed the place with 3 skylights all with 2 feet of each other.

When it started to rain at 5pm all the custom cuts had been done and the sheets were lying in place, tacked down with a couple of screws each. They'll need a bit of adjusting to get them to all line up for the next continuous sheet. With the nice weather that is being predicted for the upcoming week, I should be able to get the rest of the roofing done before next weekend. Then it'll be a couple of days to flash the skylights, and the edges of the roof, and install the gutters.

I ordered several hundred feet of rough sawn cedar for a double fascia. because of the cheap price, we're using thermal patio door windows so any leftover cedar I'll use to build the window casings.

The Hornby siding (tarpaper) on the side of the house is beginning to get to me so I spent a few hours on Friday starting to cover it up. The photo to the left is what it looks like. I'm OK with it. It's WAY better than the tarpaper!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks fantastic. Keep up the good work. Have you named the studio yet?
Love A. Anne