Dec 15, 2008

Global Warming My ASS!

It started with a half a foot of snow on Saturday night. I had managed to dig 7 of the 12 footings for Rachelle's new studio before coming in due to cold, dark, snow, and general weariness. By morning there was more snow than I had ever seen on Hornby. We've only been here for a year and a half, mind you.

The snow always signals the end of a cold snap or the beginning of a cold snap. We've now got -14 temps at night and -3 during the day. Before things got really depressing we managed to get out for a walk on the beach where we saw ospreys EVERYWHERE. It was astounding how many we could see at any one time. It seemed like every tree had a giant bird or two.

Now before anyone gets all uppity and feels the need to post some wise-ass comment talking about how cold or snowy it is in their particular burg, let me ask you this: Have your pipes remained unfrozen and do you have running water. If you answered yes to either of these questions, then keep your smug crap to yourself.

The weather is not forecasted to warm until the new year, by which time the pipes will have burst. Instead of pouring footing for the studio I see several days of digging a trench in which to bury our incoming water lines, something I should have done in the first place. Live and learn...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aah!!! poor Doug. Do you not remember Saint John? We had a temp. of 10degrees on Mon. and it went down to -10 overnite. Today we got a couple of inches but it looks like we will dumped on this Friday. Good old lake effect. You should have known better with your pipes and buried them in the nice weather. Have a great Xmas.
Love Aunt Anne

Life of Red said...

Wellllll, I can only say that it looks lovely, and though we are not experiencing your frozen pipeness presently, when we were on the float home the pipes froze solid for a good 4 days. Yup. Solid. And I had Oscar the extremely, entirely messy 2 year old at the time. Now he's three and a half and neat as a pin. Thinking of you.....