Jul 21, 2008

Things are slowing down

I'm sure our local sparky, Ron, and his crew could have accomplished in 2 days what took me a month. With a few minor details still outstanding, I'm done with the wiring and ready for our final inspection. We've got 18 or 20 branch circuits and lots of room available for expansion. Hydro comes on Friday to switch the power over to our new service and hopefully there'll be no sparks.

I have to say with a certain amount of boastfulness that I think its one of my best achievements. I had no idea how to wire a house when I went into it, but with a bunch of studying, reading the code book, and some great advice and help, I've picked up a pretty cool new skill. Thanks everyone who's helped, especially Rob, Ron, and Dan the inspector.

In other news we had Mister Buttons / Sterling Silverfoot / Dostoyevski Kaleshni-cat taken into town to make sure she was fixed... and she was. She came back with a shaved belly, a brand new tattoo, and a flea treatment. The vet thinks she is somewhere between 8 and 10 years old, but in great shape.

Russian Blue house cats are even somewhat hypo-allergenic! I wouldn't go so far as to say that I have NO reaction to her, but its even less than I get from most dogs. If we could only cure her of meowing at 4:30AM she would be the perfect cat. Strangely this is the second stray Russian Blue Rachelle has taken in. The first was the kitten she found in Japan in 1993.

My good buddy Russell and his family came to Hornby and camped here at the homestead for a few day. We did a bunch of work while he was here like digging a new trench for the kiln's power cable, back filling the trench that carries our main house power, and running the cable for our drier.

Rachelle's now selling at the market 2 days a week and potting up a storm... when her kiln is actually working (another entry) and we can breathe a little easier with all the building expenses that we are accumulating.

I've been so busy doing nothing but electrical work in addition to working full time that I haven't had time to do much else newsworthy. Now that the heat is off I should be able to resume life in paradise and post more blog entries bragging about it. Thanks for bearing with me.

3 comments:

sarge said...

Congratulations. You know who would be very proud of your accomplishments. You sure reached outside of your comfort zone. Way to go. This now opens up a whole lot more work that can be done. Have a fun weekend and enjoy.

Anonymous said...

That is one good looking Cat!

Siobhan Chinnery said...

Congrats. It sounded like it was a bit of an overwhelming task to accomplish and those are always the best ones to cross off the list. What's next?