May 22, 2007

Must... focus...

It was the May long weekend. Three days were available to make some serious headway in getting our house ready to move into. Rachelle and I showed up and immediately were overwhelmed with the amount of work to do and the lack of time to do it. When presented with that reality our impulse was to tackle a simple job and pretend that the other work didn't exist. We got out the chainsaw, splitting maul, and wheelbarrow and chopped, split, and piled wood.

Actually, though, when I look back, some things did get accomplished:

1) We brought up our gorgeous new stainless steel fridge
2) Our tank man delivered our awesome new water storage units
3) Our septic team came by and laid out where our disbursal rings will go.
4) Rachelle painted most of the soffit boards with the clear stain
5) I installed several of afore mentioned soffit boards
6) We installed the 2 big side windows and the lower one in the back of the house


In hindsight, our more abstract accomplishments were pretty important. We came up with a more firm plan around what our house extension will look like. We both feel better about how th move with take place. We also have the beginnings of a plan on how Rachelle can make work before her studio is built.

We had an AMAZING five course meal with a wine pairing with every course at the Seabreeze on Saturday night. The next night we had a fun dinner with Veronica and Bill and their sons Renault and Orlando. They'll be moving into our place in East Van.

My worries have now shifted from not getting work to getting too much work with other people and not having enough time to finish OUR house. Stay tuned for how that shakes out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I'd say you got alot accomplished. It's looking good with some windows installed. You'll be surprised how much will get done when you don't have to travel to get to the house. Well done. Sarge

Siobhan Chinnery said...

Ummmm... I watched a movie over the weekend. Oh yeah, I also did a load of laundry. time for bed.

Ted Brunt said...

Where does the satellite dish go?

Very fulfilling work - I can feel it via your writing.