Jun 4, 2006

Shed prefab

This huge pile of cedar in the garage is destined for Hornby Island. I aquired it a few months ago from a local auction house that was having a hard time getting rid of it. I paid them $100 for all I could take away. I took away 4 or 5 trailer loads and pretty much filled the garage with the stuff.

Its been sitting and drying and waiting for me to come up with a plan. Well... next weekend we're heading to Hornby Island to build a shed. Tom, Iain, and Russell are coming over to help. Should be fun.

Anyway, today I got deep into the pile and did a bunch of prep. I ripped a bunch of 2x6 into 1x2's to make the bats. Its going to be a bat and board construction with all these 2x6's used as the horizontal members. The image on the right is a sample of bat and board construction.

I cut the floor joists, roof joists, and sorted out the good stuff from the crap. I haven't built anything in quite a while so it was good to get out and fire up all the power tools. I had the chop saw, table saw, screwgun, and skill saw all cranked up today.

I'm really sore now, covered in cedar sawdust and heading for the shower. Ciao!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Argh!!! That pile of building materials looks way worse than my deck situation! How will you get that to Hornby; via Kayak? BTW, the new design for my deck is going to be great. Brent bought a table saw to help. Guess there was saw dust being raised both in Vancouver and Miami yesterday. We had to do our stuff in the shade -- way over 100 deg F.