Sep 17, 2011

Last Gasp of a Fading Vacation

Sarah on the first pitch of Skywalker
I just got back from my yearly climbing trip to Squamish. The last year has seen a flurry of new route development in grades easy enough for a fat, old guy like me to climb and I was really excited to see if they were as good as folks were saying. I can report back that yes, they are just as good as they say.

Pools at the top of Shannon Falls
 Jeremy Frimer has been on a cleaning tear lately and I turned the 3 day into a Frimer marathon. We climbed "Skywalker" , "Dirty Dickey", and "Split Decision" on day 1. At the top of "Skywalker" we made the 10 minute trek to the pools at the top of Shannon Falls. I had never been there before, and was very taken by the beauty of the place. It would make a very worthwhile day trip on it's own.

Day 2 was rainy so we rode 3 of the incredible downhill mountain bike trails in the Squamish area.

Jeff and Sarah
 Day 3 had to be a short one so I could get home by the last ferry at 10PM. Jeff and Dan and I blitzed up "Wire Tap" on the Olsen Creek Wall. It was the first 5.10 climb I had done in 6 years and it went off without a hitch. I came home feeling even more of a Jones to get back out onto the rock. Perhaps if we can get a nice weekend around here, I'll grab someone and head to Comox Lake for a good schooling.

Thank you so much, Jeff and Sarah, for putting me up, for rearranging your life to make sure that I was occupied, for showing me your favorite food spots, and for being great friends. I loved every minute of hanging out with you.

No comments: