May 8, 2011

Done with the Roof

At work we've been building a pretty interesting and challenging house. I talked about it back in December when we had just started it. After almost 5 months, we just fininshed the roof last week. We were stalled by delays in getting the steel beams, returning the steel beams because they were made incorrectly, confused drawings, and having to start another project.

As frustrating as it was at times, I think it's quite a show-piece. There are 2 buildings and a covered breezeway with a single roof. The roof has 5 separate planes, each with its own pitch, and  there are 9 sides, each at a different angle. The framing is a combination of parallel stranded lumber beams, steel I beams, laminated veneer lumber, and regular of 2x10s.


I took some photos before we cover it all up with the soffits. There are 5 steel I beams that support the 35 feet of clear span over the breeze way. We bolted 2x10s into the web space of the I beams and used joist hangers to fasten the roof joists onto the I-Beams.

2x4 strapping sits on top of the roof joists and supports the 5/8 plywood.


This photo is of the ocean side of the house showing the jaunty angles of the roof and the breezeway. All of the window on the house portion go from floor to ceiling. One weighs almost 800 lbs.

This picture shows some of the interior roof framing. The spokes are Parallel Stranded Lumber which is an engineered wooden beam made from wood chips and glue but is incredibly stiff.

We'll be installing the soffits, ceiling, and drywall, then probably moving on to the next project. It's been a challenge and a real learning experience, but I'm pretty happy that we're finally done this roof.

2 comments:

Adam Waterford said...

That's quite a huge yet marvelous project you made here. Yep, after 5 months of intense work, you were able to pull this off beautifully. What was the single biggest challenge that you met as you were building this?

Unknown said...

The biggest challenge as far as I am concerned was building it all without detailed working drawings.