Aug 17, 2010

Just in from Victoria

I've had it with crappy boots. The end of a day of work is like the end of a day of climbing. The only thing that keeps me going is the thought of taking off my boots and giving my feet a break. I figure I have to spend another few years in this profession so I might as well buy 1 pair of boots that will last me until the end of my construction career. I did a bunch of research and laid down a $450 bet that Viberg is the boot to buy.

Sure, there are a few spots that bind a bit, but I think that it'll loosen up and mold to my foot in no time. I can now, hopefully, say goodbye to wet feet, blown out sidewalls, delaminated soles, and steel toes that cut into my feet.

Along that same vein, my experiment with a cordura tool pouch ended unsatisfactorily. I'm sick of fixing the damn thing and it never really was that comfortable. A trip to the Cumberland Slegg Lumber yard on my way to Victoria had me loving the CLC Signature leather tool bags. I dropped an embarrassingly large wad of cash on the cashier's desk and walked away with them. I justify the purchase in the same was as I did the boots. It is something that I wear 8 hours a day and I will never need to buy another one.

As I mentioned, I had to go to Victoria to get the boots. It was a 3 hour drive on one of the hottest days of the year. I picked up the boots the next morning and drove back to Hornby on the second hottest day of the year. There were ferry lineups, crammed highways, and stressed tourists, but as soon as I got home I unpacked the car, grabbed the snorkeling gear and went for a swim at Ford Cove with Rachelle. It's enough to make you never leave this place.

Huge thanks to Garth and Joanna for putting me up over night, and feeding me huge quantities of premium food, premium beer, and super extra special premium scotch. Now it's back to work tomorrow with some new toys.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doug, I'm so glad you dropped by my site so I could discover yours. I'm really enjoying your posts and look forward to more.

Though I don't do work like you do, I'm always fascinated by stories of the tools people use in their trade. I am with you 100% about spending good money on tools that one truly uses eight hours a day. They are so worth it.

Keep the posts coming.