Nov 29, 2007

Truck Dies... Cycle Commuting Revived

Old Fugly limped into work the other morning and refused to start at the end of the day. Seems like it there's gas to the carb, but no spark. I'm thinking a dead coil but I don't know how to confirm that. Anyone got any suggestions?

As a result of having the work truck non-functioning, I've resurrected the old commuter bike. It's been pretty fun riding to work again, although it's quite a different scene. Back in the big city, I'd don all the fancy commuter gear which included cycling shorts, wind resistant pants, a high tech cycling jersey, a wind breaker, and my fancy-ass clipless cycling shoes.

That getup has been replaced in favour of my workboots, workpants, workshirts, and an overfleece. There's something very liberating about arriving at work and getting right to it instead of locking the bike, changing shoes, showering, and putting on work clothes. I LIKE riding to work, although it is going down to -6 tonight and could be pretty chilly tomorrow AM.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOOOOOO!

The poor truck man... you put a lot of km's on that bad boy. Remember the bike trip to Squamish with Rusty?

Barreling down the 99 I thought the brakes were going to go.

BLahahahhahahahah!

Have a good weekend bud!

Dan

Siobhan Chinnery said...

Couldn't you just check the voltage coming into and out of the coil?
Always remember though, there is enough voltage there to give a nice shock so please... use your tongue to check.

Ted Brunt said...

And make sure you're standing in a bucket of water.

I second the voltage check. Could be anything from the plugs on back.

Unknown said...

I can check that the input wires are hot, but how do you check output. Tom came up with the answer...

You take off the coil wire to the distributer and hold it close to the block (or something else well grounded). Someone else turns over the engine and you should see lots of spark.

Either that or stick your tongue into the hole of said wire and get someone to turn the engine over.